Green Mung Bean Soup
- 1 cup green mung beans
- 3 cups water
- ½ to 1 inch ginger root, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- ¼ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon hingvastak (optional)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ¼ teaspoon mineral salt to taste
- ½ cup assorted seasonal vegetables (optional)
- Cilantro and lime to garnish (optional)
Soak mung beans 4–6 hours or overnight if possible.
In a saucepan over low-medium heat, sauté the cumin and mustard seeds in the ghee until they pop. Add the ginger root and all the other spices. Stir together to release the aroma. Drain the beans, and stir them into the spice mixture. Add water and vegetables (optional) and cover. Simmer covered for 30 minutes or until mung beans are soft but still hold their form.
Garnish with fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime, or an extra spoonful of ghee. Enjoy this dish over rice, paired with flatbread, or on its own for a delicious treat that is nourishing, grounding, and easy to digest.