With all the energy supplements on the market, it’s obvious that energy is a hot topic. Harkening back to middle school science class, energy is indeed “the capacity or power to do work.” But energy can also be defined as vitality, vigor, enthusiasm, vivacity, zest, and spirit—all of which sound like components of a healthy and vibrant life. So, what is the result of not having enough energy? The opposite of vitality includes apathy, lethargy, weakness, discouragement, and lifelessness. In other words—to be without life. In Ayurveda, there are four key principles that are direct physiological manifestations of energy and vitality—agni, ojas, tejas, and prana. In theory, if we can learn to care for each of these four aspects of our mind-body ecology, we will naturally invite an improved sense of health into our lives. To read more on these key principles and how they apply to cultivating more energy in your life, you will appreciate the health guide Abundant Energy.
Natural Energy Boosters
Ayurveda views the body, mind, and spirit as integrated parts of a single, unified whole, so improving any one of these aspects of our lives inevitably has a positive impact on all of the others. With that said, we can give ourselves a natural energy boost in more ways than one. Here are just a few natural approaches for tending to body, mind, and spirit, and increasing your energy at the same time:
- Prioritize appropriate exercise. Prioritize being the operative word here. Remember, any movement is better than no movement. Ten minutes is better than zero minutes.
- Pay attention to your digestion. If your body is not receiving or assimilating adequate nutrition, a lack of energy will be one of the first signs.
- Breathe. Breath is our life force! We can’t live for more than three minutes (on average) without it. Furthermore, taking full, deep breaths activates our parasympathetic nervous system, encouraging calm and healing.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Like exercise, make sleep a priority. If a sound night’s sleep can be a challenge for you, you might try our I Sleep Soundly formula for additional support.
Herbs for Energy
There are many herbs that act as natural energy supplements, nourishing your system rather than depleting it the way some stimulants can. Adaptogens are a classification of herbs known to help modify the body’s reaction to stress, thus conserving energy that would otherwise be spent in the body’s stress response. Some of these adaptogens include:
For a more comprehensive list of adaptogens and their properties, read Adaptogenic Herbs of Ayurveda on our Insight Blog.
And for more herbal support:
- 7-Herb Energy was specially formulated as a natural energy supplement without caffeine. Ashwagandha, Asian ginseng, eleuthero, brahmi/gotu kola, and licorice offer stress relief and act as a pure, herbal pick-me-up.
- Chyavanprash is a traditional Ayurvedic rejuvenative jam. Some of its herbal adaptogens include amalaki, ashwagandha, and guduchi. Along with other warming and nourishing herbs, this formula is known for its energizing and immune-boosting effects.
We are equally committed to the quality of our products as we are to your satisfaction of them. All our formulas all cultivated and produced with the highest standards of eco-stewardship, fair trade, and sustainability, and all our herbs must pass the highest level of certification before given the organic stamp of approval. If for any reason a product does not have the desired effect or meet your expectations, we will offer a full refund of the item total within 90 days. We do recommend giving an herb at least 4–6 weeks of a trial period as there is a cumulative effect as the herb is assimilated through the body’s tissue layers. You may also want to experiment with the dosage with the help of a trained professional.