Herbs for the Immune System
We’ve all experienced the disappointment of having to put everything on hold when our bodies crash and our health deteriorates due to imbalance or illness. And while the occasional sickness is a normal part of a healthy functioning system, a hardy immune system can prevent us from going down hard, or often.
When it comes down to it, we all want to feel healthy, energized, and vital. So, how do we support robust immunity? Let us count the ways! Using Ayurvedic herbs for immune system health is just one of many ways to support healthy immunity and boost an overall feeling of resilience. Herbs have long been used as a natural immune booster, and Banyan offers several supplements for immune system wellness.
- Perhaps the most well-known herb in the West to the strengthen the immune system is echinacea. Echinacea is a bitter herb and one of the best detoxifying herbs in Western pharmacology. Banyan Botanicals features echinacea in our Immune Strong formula and the Throat Soother herbal spray.
- Turmeric is another bitter herb and a well-known immune system booster for a vital system. There is almost nothing turmeric can’t do—it helps to strengthen digestion, improve intestinal flora, purify the blood, and promote a healthy metabolism.
- Kalmegh is a famous Ayurvedic immune booster for robust health, also known as “King of bitters.” Kalmegh is said to stimulate the immune system and is especially beneficial for pitta conditions. Its cooling qualities aid in liver health and cleansing the blood.
You can find all these herbs and more in the Immune Strong formula.
What Is the Immune System?
Immunity comes from the Latin root “immunis” which means “free” or “untouched.” A healthy immune system does indeed help to keep us ‘’free” or “untouched” from potential harmful organisms or influences. To be sure, without an intact immune system, survival would be nearly impossible. The immune system is a complex system of many organs, tissues, proteins, and cells, all with the primary job of identifying foreign tissue or pathogens from self. The immune system also recognizes dead or damaged cells and clears those out of the body, largely through the lymphatic system. This system also includes the bone marrow, spleen, thymus, and lymph nodes.
The Ayurvedic Approach to Immunity
As with the Ayurvedic approach to health in general, digestion, or the digestive fire called agni, plays a critical role in a robust immune response. Also central to immunity through an Ayurvedic perspective is a substance known as ojas. Ojas translates to “vigor,” although biologically, it is a little more complicated to define.
In their book The Yoga of Herbs, Drs. David Frawley and Vasant Lad describe ojas as “the innermost sap of the body.” They go on to say that it “is the basis for clarity of perception, physical strength, endurance, and longevity of the tissues.” Ojas is closely related to kapha, and physically it is described as being a yellow liquid that resides in the heart and circulates through the entire body.
Ojas is enhanced by:
- Tending to the digestive fire and eating foods that are supportive of our particular dosha
- Adequate rest and a good night’s sleep
- Managing or minimizing the stress in our lives
- Appropriate exercise
- A supportive daily routine
- Doing what you love
- Cultivating loving relationships
- Incorporating herbal support
Banyan Quality & Guarantee
Banyan is committed to offering the highest quality organic herbs on the market. Our herbs are sustainably sourced and fairly traded. If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, simply return your item within 90 days and we will offer you a refund for the cost of the merchandise.