Ayurvedic Herbs for Supporting Healthy Summer Skin
With summer in full-swing, people prone to inflammation of the skin may be experiencing the discomfort of more frequent flare-ups and break-outs. From an Ayurvedic perspective, problems such as rashes, acne, hives, boils, psoriasis and eczema occur when too much heat accumulates in the body. This can happen at any time of year, but the seasonal increase in temperature make heat related imbalances of the skin more prevalent in the summertime.
Fortunately, the Ayurvedic pharmacopoeia offers some wonderful herbs that cool the system and help restore our natural state of balance. Following a daily herbal regimen, along with a few simple diet and lifestyle suggestions, is the Ayurvedic recipe for beautiful, healthy skin. Excess heat is normally eliminated through the GI tract. However, when the system becomes overloaded with toxins this heat becomes trapped and is absorbed into the blood. The body, naturally seeking to remove these toxins, resorts to using the skin as an organ of elimination which often manifests as a skin irritation.
Ayurvedic Herbs for Healthy Skin
Ayurvedic herbs have been used effectively for generations to restore the normal elimination process, while promoting healthy, lustrous skin. The traditional Ayurvedic formula Triphala is used to gently cleanse and detoxify the system, removing excess heat from the system and supporting healthy elimination.
A daily dose of Triphala will:
- Eliminate excess heat from the body
- Remove natural toxins from the GI tract
- Support healthy, regular elimination
- Promote the skin's natural healing process
Healthy Skin formula is a combination of cooling herbs like turmeric and neem that supports healthy and radiant skin from within.
Use Healthy Skin to:
- Promote a clear complexion
- Remove excess heat from the body
- Support the skin's natural beauty
Ayurvedic herbs may also be used externally to support the skin's healing process. Neem is a very cooling herb, commonly used to purify the blood and promote healthy skin.
It is available in the following forms:
- Neem & Aloe soap is great for cleaning, cooling, and soothing the skin.
- Neem oil can be applied to promote healthy skin and pacify excess heat and irritation.
- Neem powder can be applied as a paste to promote healing and remove excess heat from the skin.
The use of herbs is an excellent way to restore and maintain healthy skin. Making adjustments to your diet and lifestyle will also help to address the underlying causes of the imbalance. Trying any or all of the following suggestions will accelerate and amplify the results you experience from taking your herbs.
- Avoid consumption of spicy foods
- Minimize alcohol and coffee intake
- Favor intrinsically cooling foods like vegetable greens, basmati rice, sweet juicy fruits, coconut, cucumber and cilantro
- Wear protective clothing in cooling colors like green, blue, and purple
- Avoid strenuous activity during the hottest times of the day
- Take an evening stroll in the moonlight
- Minimize anger, criticism, and hate
- Cultivate peace, patience, and tolerance
- Incorporate appropriate exercise—a simple seated forward bend is cooling to the system and good for releasing heat from the body. For the more advanced yogi, incorporate moon salutation into your daily practice.
- Practice Sheetali Pranayama, the cooling breath, which is excellent for expelling heat from the body.