- 1 cup whole dried pitted dates (about ½ pound)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon organic tangerine peel (orange can be substituted)
- ¼ cup blanched almonds, chopped
- ¼ cup date sugar (or less)
Chop the dates finely. Mix the dates, water, rice syrup, vanilla, and tangerine peel in a small heavy skillet and cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until all the water has evaporated off and the dates are a thick mass. The thicker it is, the easier it is to work. Stir in the almonds and let cool. When cool, form into 1 inch balls (you can grease your hands with a bit of ghee, but basically you’re going to get sticky with these). Roll the balls in date sugar (to get them dry enough to serve).