5 Ways to Get More Turmeric in Your Life
Turmeric. Just saying the word brings about countless images of this powerful and multi-purpose herb. This common spice is a staple in all Indian households. Growing up, I really didn’t like the taste of it. My mom preached the virtues of turmeric—and I just wasn’t fazed by it. Whether in her cooking or as an herbal remedy, turmeric always found a way into my diet.
Turmeric has now become way more mainstream than I ever could have imagined. I’m sure that at some point, many of you have read an article or book preaching the amazing-ness of this root. So, I won’t take the time to go into much detail here. However, I will share with you five different ways that I utilize this root, both from a nutrition standpoint and as an herbal remedy.
- Cook with it. In almost all of my cooking (besides Italian and Mexican), I sprinkle approximately 1–2 teaspoons on top of my sautéed veggies or in my soups.
From an Ayurvedic perspective, it’s super important to incorporate all six tastes into each meal. Using turmeric will help you with three out of the six—pungent, bitter, and astringent. Just be careful with the amount you use as turmeric has a very dominating taste and can turn your dish around very quickly!
- Turmeric and honey paste. This was a go-to that my mother, grandmother, and aunts would give me every night before bed when I wasn’t feeling well.
Although it’s good for promoting comfort and supporting the throat, these days I find it to be a great tonic to take at night in general. Turmeric has many health supporting properties, from promoting a healthy immune system to strengthening digestion. On top of that, it is balancing for all doshas.
This is super easy to make as well: mix 1 teaspoon turmeric powder with just enough honey to turn it into a paste. Lick it off the spoon and enjoy!
- Turmeric milk. This tasty golden drink is great for your overall health, and it promotes a healthy immune system. Our Turmeric Milk Mix makes it easy and pairs well with any milk of your choice. Just add 1½ teaspoons to warm milk and enjoy at any time of day!
- First Aid! This one may be a little weird, but when I was a kid, my grandmothers would call me into the kitchen and sprinkle some turmeric powder over my cuts to support the healing process. It worked like magic!
- As a supplement. On top of all this, turmeric is a great supplement to take on its own. Banyan offers a tablet and a liquid extract making it easy to find the supplement that works best in your lifestyle.
Like I’ve already mentioned, turmeric is awesome! After years of using turmeric, I’m glad that I’ve begun to appreciate the beauty of this orange root. It has helped me in more ways than one!
What are some ways that you incorporate turmeric into your diet and lifestyle? Comment below and share your experiences!