Both Yoga and Ayurveda hold that the quality of your breath is vital to your well-being. Making each breath long and deep can improve your health and increase longevity. Cleansing and protecting the breathing passages, particularly the nostrils, can improve the quality of every breath you take.
Neti, or nasal rinsing, is a process of cleansing and purifying t!he nasal passages with a nasal rinse cup and saline solution.
Nasal rinsing offers many physical benefits:
- Promotes good overall nasal and sinus health*
- Provides soothing relief for nasal dryness*
- Supports a healthy mucus lining of the nasal passages and sinuses*
- Gently removes excess mucus*
- Rinses away respiratory irritants such as dirt, dust, and pollen*
- Promotes clean, fresh-smelling breath*
- Keeps the head feeling clear and the mind refreshed*
In addition, deep and unobstructed breathing through clear nasal passages specifically helps to balance the prana, our vital life force within the body. Balanced prana brings the mind and body into harmony allowing them to work together as a whole. Smooth flow of prana is necessary for proper functioning of the organs and for tranquility and equanimity.
Prepare the Saline Solution:
Mix approximately ¼ teaspoon of fine non-iodized table salt into about 1 cup (8oz) of warm water, until it is fully dissolved. To prevent contamination, it is recommended that you use sterile water, such as distilled water or water that has been boiled and cooled to make your irrigation solution. Once you have the saline solution mixed, pour it into the nasal rinse cup.
The Process of Nasal Cleansing:
- Stand in front of the sink. Tilt your head to one side so that one ear is facing down into the sink, and you can see the drain out of the corner of your eye. You should find that having your forehead angling slightly downward and sideways will be just about right.
- Insert spout of nasal rinse cup gently into the raised nostril and create a seal between the Pot and your nostril.
- Raise the nasal rinse cup slowly to develop a steady flow of saline solution through the upper nostril and out the lower nostril.
- During the process, breathe through your mouth.
- Upon completion of the process, exhale gently several times to clear the nasal passages.
- Reverse the tilt of your head and repeat the process on the other side.
Completion of the Process:
It is beneficial to do some simple gentle exhalation blowing through both of your nostrils after completion.
Cleaning Your Nasal Cup:
After use, simply wash out the pot with warm water and dish soap.