This new year, many of us will resolve to make changes within our diet and lifestyles that will enable us to live happier and healthier lives. Resolutions are helpful because they motivate us to develop discipline and organize our lives for the year ahead. If your new year's resolution includes losing a few pounds, Ayurveda offers some helpful recommendations to support your efforts.Continue Reading >
During this time of new beginnings and resolutions, start a fitness program that will last with these helpful tips:
- Set reasonable goals, both long and short term. Completion of the short term goals provides personal satisfaction, bringing you one step closer to your vision.
- Choose exercises that work best for your constitution. Dr. John Douillard's book, Body, Mind, and Sport is an excellent resource.
- Create a calendar or checklist of your program to be kept in a visible place (i.e., the fridge). Cross things off as you go.
- Mix it up. Don't get stuck in just one activity. Branch out and be adventuresome!
- Combine both solitary and group activities. Exercising with a friend or group provides support and boosts motivation.
- Create a healthful reward system. Entice yourself with a spa treatment or a new piece of exercise clothing as a means to reach your goal.
- Don't be constrained by conventional definitions of exercise. Play with your kids. Go dancing with your friends. Walk a dog.
- Most importantly, have fun! Exercise is not about pain or strain. It is about inviting movement into your body to oxygenate, stimulate, strengthen, and cleanse your system. It is an important component of overall health.