Goodbye Summer! Welcome Fall with this Ritual
Summer stokes the inner fire and offers exuberant days at the beach and exciting ocean plunges. But it can also burn you out and leave you craving some quiet time and stillness.
As we shift into the autumn season and vata’s hurried tendency starts to creep in, it’s time to intentionally slow things down. By reflecting on the last few months and honoring yourself with some self-care, you will set a positive trajectory for moving into the next season.
I recommend taking at least a couple of hours for this bathing and journaling ritual experience in order to consciously release the summer and prepare for the crisper, cooler, and shorter days of fall.
- Begin with an Ayurvedic self-oil massage (abhyanga). I love the Daily Massage Oil.
- Soak in a bath. Add ½ cup baking soda, 1 tablespoon sesame oil and 5 drops lavender essential oil to the bath. Light a candle and reflect on the last few months.
- In the bath or afterwards, use these questions as inspiration for your journal:
What five things or experiences are you grateful for from your summer?
What drained your energy these last few months?
What aspects of your life currently need attention?
How will you take care of your health this fall (physically, mentally, and emotionally)?
What do you appreciate or love about your body?
What inner qualities would you like to amplify and give more attention to during the upcoming season?
- Choose one word that will anchor and succinctly set an intention for your autumn season. Draw this word, put it on a sticky note, journal it a hundred times—do whatever feels right for you to generate energy.
- Sit quietly for a few minutes with your eyes closed. Focus on the natural breath coming in and out of the nose. Visualize yourself in your ideal state of health and vitality. See yourself as clearly as you can; the clothes you’re wearing, the way you move your body, the expression on your face, the activities you’re doing, and so on. Feel how it is to exist in this optimal state of health and well-being. Take this feeling deep into your cells and into your life.
- Repeat your intention three times to yourself beginning with the words “I am.” For example, if your intention is peaceful, state three times “I am peaceful, I am peaceful, I am peaceful.” Bask in the essence of this healing vibration.
When you’re ready, slowly open your eyes and bring your attention back into the day. Appreciate yourself for taking the time to slow down and contemplate what is important to you moving forward. Every day remind yourself of your intention and take steps to make it more and more a part of your being.