For thousands of years, the people of India have nourished their hair and scalp with oils, supporting blood flow and providing the nutrition that their hair needs to make its finest appearance. Using pure oils that are powered by rich, organic, Ayurvedic botanicals will give you a sense of natural luxury and nourishment.Continue Reading >
Traditionally, beautiful hair has long been associated with health and well-being. According to Ayurveda, hair is considered a secondary vital tissue closely linked to both bone marrow and the central nervous system. Ayurvedic herbs and oil treatments do not only produce healthy lustrous hair but can also bring peace of mind. According to this ancient system of medicine, long luxuriant hair functions as a type of energetic antennae to harness subtle energies of the body, control the senses, and prepare the mind for meditation.
The Ayurvedic herb bhringaraj, known as the "the ruler of the hair," has been used since ancient times to rejuvenate hair and skin. Bhringaraj helps to calm and cool down pitta dosha, strengthening resistance to stress. Premature hair loss and graying are considered a pitta imbalance. Bhringaraj is a rejuvenative for the liver and kidneys. It supports the cleansing of impurities, improves complexion of the skin, and promotes the natural color and luster of the hair.
Brahmi, also known as gotu kola, is another powerful herb that helps support a balanced mind while nourishing the hair and scalp. Healthy Hair tablets includes brahmi as well as bhringaraj and amalaki, which is a detoxifying herb that helps cleanse excess pitta from the body.
Treat the scalp topically with a warm oil massage with Healthy Hair Oil, Bhringaraj Oil or Brahmi Oil. These are all good herbal foods for the scalp. Healthy Hair Oil contains the top three Ayurvedic herbs known to have a special affinity for your hair (bhringarj, brahmi, and amalaki). Bhringaraj Oil, in a sesame oil base, is balancing for all doshas. Brahmi Oil, in a coconut oil base, is particularly cooling for the pitta mind and enhances peaceful meditation. Apply oil to the head and gently massage into the scalp with the pads of the fingertips. Let the oil penetrate for one hour or leave on overnight to help promote sound sleep. Wash out in the morning. The oil massage helps to improve circulation throughout the scalp while strengthening the roots of the hair. Practice this nourishing scalp massage one to three times per week.
Helpful Hair Care Tips
- Include a diet rich in calcium and iron, including green leafy vegetables, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, carrots, beets, tahini, milk, fresh yogurt, coconut, and sweet, juicy seasonal organic fruits.
- Cook with spices like cumin, black pepper, and turmeric to provide nourishment to the hair. Sauté 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of each spice in one teaspoon of ghee or sesame oil and add to cooked vegetables or soups. Dry roasted cumin and freshly ground black pepper can be sprinkled over fresh yogurt.
- Wash hair only when necessary. Washing every day can strip hair of its protective oils and over time can lead to dry, split, vata hair.
- Avoid shampoos that contain harsh chemicals. Choose gentle, natural shampoos and conditioners that contain nourishing botanicals such as amalaki, shikai, and aloe.
- Always condition the hair after shampooing to help seal the hair cuticle, keeping moisture in while protecting from the elements.
- Protect from excessive exposure to sunlight.
- Choose herbal/vegetable based dyes to enhance hair color.
- Avoid heat styling. Let your hair dry naturally, if you can, and then brush into place.
- Brush hair regularly in all directions using smooth long strokes from scalp to hair ends.
- Practice relaxation techniques such as yoga and meditation. Stress can be detrimental to hair and overall health.
- Get adequate, restful sleep each night to allow the body essential time to renew and rejuvenate.
These simple ayurvedic recommendations help to beautify and promote hair health beginning from the inside, working out. Nourishing your hair and scalp through diet, Ayurvedic herbs, and oils can not only promote healthy lustrous hair, but can also support a calm mind and balanced nervous system, and strengthen your meditation practice.