Ayurvedic Herbs for Summer Skin
Heat-related skin imbalances can happen at any time of the year, but they can be especially prevalent when the summer season is in full swing.
If you are prone to skin imbalances, you might find yourself experience more frequent flare-ups and breakouts at this time of year—especially if you live in a place where the seasonal temperature has increased dramatically.
Fortunately, Ayurveda has a “recipe” to achieve beautiful, healthy skin year-round—one that involves incorporating simple diet and lifestyle practices into your daily routine, and finding the right supportive herbs or formulas to help you return to balance.
Ayurveda on Summer Skincare
It also means that this season is when a build-up of excess pitta is most likely to occur in the body—particularly for those who have a pitta-predominant constitution. (If you don’t know your constitution, take Banyan’s free dosha quiz.)
Normally, the body eliminates excess heat through the GI tract. However, when the system becomes overloaded with ama (natural toxins), this heat becomes trapped and is absorbed into the blood.
The body, naturally seeking to remove these toxins, resorts to using the skin as an organ of elimination, which often manifests as skin irritation.
Herbal Formulas for Healthy Skin
The Ayurvedic pharmacopoeia offers some wonderful herbs that support the skin by cooling the system and helping restore our natural state of balance. The following herbs and formulas have been known to restore the normal elimination process while promoting healthy, lustrous skin.
- Triphala. Based on a traditional Ayurvedic formula, Triphala tablets promote the skin’s natural healing process by gently cleansing and detoxifying the system, eliminating excess heat and natural toxins from the body while supporting healthy elimination.
- Healthy Skin. With cooling herbs like turmeric and neem, Healthy Skin tablets have been clinically shown to promote radiant, smooth skin and a clear complexion.
Ayurvedic herbs may also be used externally to support the skin's healing process. Neem is a very cooling herb, commonly used to purify the blood and promote healthy skin.
It is available in the following forms:
- Neem and Aloe Soap is great for cleaning, cooling, and soothing the skin.
- Neem Oil can be applied to promote healthy skin and pacify excess heat and irritation.
- Neem powder can be applied as a paste to promote healing and remove excess heat from the skin.
Diet and Lifestyle Tips for Healthy Skin
While the use of herbs is an excellent way to restore and maintain healthy skin, adjusting your diet will also help address the underlying causes of the imbalance.
Summer Diet Tips
- Keep it Mild. Avoid consumption of spicy foods
- Keep it Mellow. Minimize alcohol and coffee intake
- Keep it Cool. Favor intrinsically cooling foods like vegetable greens, basmati rice, sweet juicy fruits, coconut, cucumber, and cilantro.
Trying any or all of the following lifestyle suggestions will also accelerate and amplify the results you experience from taking your herbs.
Summer Lifestyle Tips
- Wear protective clothing in cooling colors like green, blue, and purple
- Avoid strenuous activity during the hottest times of the day
- Take an evening stroll in the moonlight
- Minimize anger, criticism, and hate
- Cultivate peace, patience, and tolerance
- Incorporate appropriate exercise—a simple seated forward bend is cooling to the system and good for releasing heat from the body.
- For the more advanced yogi, incorporate moon salutation into your daily practice.
- Practice Sheetali Pranayama (Cooling Breath), which is excellent for expelling heat from the body.