Ayurvedic oil has been relied upon for thousands of years as a fundamental part of Ayurveda. Oil is traditionally used in Ayurvedic healing in a variety of ways including raw consumption, cooking, massage, bathing, gargling, basti (colon nourishment) and nasya (nasal passage nourishment).
Two basic categories of Ayurvedic oil:
- Base Oil – Pure, whole, organic oil from a natural source (such as sesame, almond, coconut or sunflower)
- Herbal Oil – A base oil infused with a decoction of one or more Ayurvedic herbs – combining the nourishing and soothing qualities of the oil with the healing properties of the herbs.
Ayurvedic oil calming, soothing, moistening and lubricating. Furthermore, the word for oil in Sanskrit – sneha – is also a word for love, and therefore holds a special place in the Ayurvedic tradition as the ultimate nourisher and carrier of love. Ayurvedic oil transmits these qualities deep into the tissues of the body.
Banyan Botanicals offers these pure, unrefined, and certified organic base Ayurvedic oils:
We also make traditionally formulated herbal Ayurvedic oils:
- Vata Massage Oil (supports space-air types)
- Pitta Massage Oil (supports fire-water types)
- Kapha Massage Oil (supports water-earth types)
- Ashwagandha/Bala oil (nourishing & strengthening support)
- Bhringaraj Oil (healthy hair & calm sleep support)
- Brahmi Oil (Coconut) (mental awareness & clarity support)
- Brahmi Oil (Sesame) (mental awareness & clarity support)
- Mahanarayan Oil (muscle & joint support)
- Neem Oil (cooling support)
- Daily Massage Oil (for all body types)
- Healthy Hair Oil (nourishing for all hair types)
- Sleep Easy Oil (supports deep restful sleep)
- Shirodhara Oil (calming, nurturing, uplifting)
- Nasya Oil (nasal passageway support)